Monday, September 16, 2013

Week In An Instant

It's feeling a lot like fall around here in Asheville! It's probably my favorite time of year, and it's also a great time to visit us at the shop. The changing of the seasons also usually means a trip overseas is in store. Tom will be heading to England in early October to fill another container. Are there any items you've been searching for? Now's the time to let us know! Stop by in person to see us or leave us a note here or via Facebook to let us know what you're after. In the meantime, here's what I've been up to.

 
Images Clockwise, Left to Right:
1. I took an afternoon trip to Boone for a delivery, and on the way back down stopped in Spruce Pine to do a bit of exploring. I had a quick lunch at Knife & Fork, which is home to the best hot dog I've ever had! Then I walked a few blocks down to one of the mineral and gem shops called Rocks and Things. I've always been drawn to rocks and the like, and even had a collection when I was little. So imagine my delight in finding this spot. It's filled to the brim with beautiful gems, dream catchers, even some cowhides! I'll definitely be back for more to add to my collection.
2. I also managed to get away for a quick visit to Virginia to see family. I'm notorious for staying up late digging through drawers in order to find hidden treasures. My search never fails, and this time yielded this beautiful photograph of my mom at the carnival.
3. I've also been a longtime admirer of this marriage quilt, passed down from my great great grandmother. Each patch of the silk quilt has the embroidered initials of friends and family in order to commemorate their marriages. This patch is by far my favorite, but the whole quilt is just beautiful.
4. One of my favorite activities is exploring new places with Ethan. Even if it's just a short car ride away, I really enjoy our snippets of time together, especially now that he's back in school. Just a week or so ago, we took a quick trip to Fairview. We ate at The Local Joint, which is such a hidden treasure and definitely a must! Then we took a short walk, where we met these two horses. I say this a lot, but it's so true. We are really lucky to be where we are, and it's such a treat that we can take a short drive and be surrounded by beautiful farmland and mountains.
5. Last Tuesday I finally made some time to visit the West Asheville Tailgate Market. I usually go every week but have been busy the last few times. I love the sense of community whenever I go, and I almost assuredly run into a friend or two while I'm there. This savory pastry, made by Tara Jensen of Smoke Signals Bakery, was an extra little treat that Ethan and I devoured. You guys must, must try her baked goods if you're in Asheville. At my house we are big fans of her whole wheat bread, but her tarts and pastries are just amazing.Her website is here.
6. And finally, a view of the shop taken from behind the store counter. I'm loving all of the things in this photo right now, especially because the rich textures of the copper top table combined with the warmth of the furniture's wood finishes really evokes a feeling of fall for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment